Do your counters look like this?
Sad to say but yep this is mine in the kitchen area! Here’s another image to show the mess of papers, receipts, books, art projects, mail, etc.
When I tell you it drives me insane! IT DRIVES ME INSANE! Naturally, I take my frustration to “www.Pinterest.com” and add things to my EVERYTHING HAS A PLACE board while searching for ways to organize mail and came across pins on C-O-M-M-A-N-D C-E-N-T-E-R-S!
I started collecting data on command centers and found some I loved and some I didn’t like too much. Some were really expensive and some were hmmm… super cheap!!
Then I had to slow myself down and really think about why I needed a command center.
Eventually I learned I need a place for the following:
- Kids-school work, important documents and homework
- To file– opened mail that needs to be filed
- To shred– documents that need to be shredded
- Catalogs– h&m, ikea etc
- Books– daily and weekly readings
- Keys– I’m always looking for my keys
I chose this one from Pinterest!
This is my wall before installing the new command center.
Here it is!
So far it takes some time getting use to but for the most part it works great especially when we keep our kitchen organized!!!
I’ve learned a few things:
- Open your mail as soon as u get it; flatten out and toss. Much better to sort the paper vs the thick envelopes!
- Toss the junk…You don’t need it!
- If u don’t have time to sort the mail add a space for that
- If you don’t have a shredder ask a friend or family member if they have access to one.
- Lastly if not weekly at least once a month clear out your command center and file what needs to be filed!
Please share your experience designing your command center!